The Finance department ensures the College, its subsidiary and associate meet its statutory financial responsibilities and maintains high standards of accountability. The ability to improve and look to new ways of working and systems development is encouraged.
Reporting directly to the Head of Finance, the Senior Finance Business Partner proactively identifies, plans and meets the finance needs of the College in order to improve business performance, in coordination with members of the wider finance team. You'll positively challenge Senior Managers, budgets and business activities to enable the best business outcomes are delivered.
You will build partnerships and maintain strong relationships with senior managers and their teams. You will be expected to lead on financial and resource matters; influence decision-making; improve the understanding of business performance; developing and delivering unit strategy; delivering analysis and insight on business opportunities; providing options and scenarios for business decisions.
You will manage a small team and will be responsible for evaluating development needs and ensuring that your staff undertake relevant CPD. You will be expected to work with your peers and other finance colleagues to ensure consistency of practice and continuous improvement activity across the College.
- Work closely with all senior stakeholders to ensure best use of financial resources, providing the strategic financial insight, intelligence and support needed. Assess situations from a commercial, business or finance perspective; provide appropriate financial advice to support complex business decisions
- Proactively contribute to the delivery of a high performing, customer focused finance service to the allocated budget holders. Ensure finance is positioned to be proactive and creative, looking for ways to shape and influence Divisional decisions and taking joint responsibility for the outcomes achieved as a result
- Lead and direct the provision of a well organised, reliable and professional financial reporting and advisory service and anticipate short term and long-term business needs for the portfolio of services the post has responsibility for
- To ensure the service is delivered in line with relevant service level agreements and statutory timetables
- As an essential partner to management, play a key role in identifying opportunities and risks resulting from changes in the operating environment, developing appropriate responses and mitigations
- Build a credible and responsive team who are respected for their depth of knowledge, expertise and customer focus and are responsible for financial control and risk management, provision of all relevant management information and support to strategic projects.
- Advise budget holders on budget setting and operate a system of budgetary control in conjunction with them
- Support the Head of Finance in all financial regulatory reporting (and act as their advocate) on funding, financial management and accounting requirements in respect of the portfolio of services which the post holder has responsibility
- Work with internal and external auditors. Leading as appropriate in the year-end audit
- To provide high levels of customer service both internally and externally
- Manage the payroll function
- Oversee (and/or undertake) completion of statutory VAT returns